Parmesan cheese and Balsamic vinegar tour with our delicious farmer’s brunch at a organic Lambrusco producer.
This is one of our most popular tours that enables you to visit the best of Modena in one day: Parmigiano Reggiano, Traditional Balsamic vinegar and Organic Lambrusco. This is not a ordinary winery but an organic farms that also grows heirloom wheat and bottles wines only with the traditional champenoise method.
1) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano) factory visit with full production.
After the pick up from your hotel or meeting the guide at the designated point you will be taken to a PDO Parmesan cheese dairy in Modena. Emilia Delizia will assign you a professional gourmet guide for the day you will be literally inches away from the cheese making. The guide will explain step by step how this famous product is made, at this point you will see how the milk is coagulated and the cheese curds are lifted and inserted into the moulds. The detailed guided tour will also include the brine stage, and the ageing cellars. Of course you will taste different ageing of the cheese in order to understand how the product changes with time.
2) Traditional Balsamic Vinegar producer visit in Modena.
We do not visit “balsamic vinegar factories” but rather small traditional vinegar producers in Modena. The black gold of Modena is made at home, and we will take our visitors directly to the producer’s home. Here you will walk between the barrels stored in the house attic as the tradition dictates. Emilia Delizia’s expert guides will take care of explaining in detail each step of the production. It is worth to mention that this product is aged for a minimum of 12 and up to 25 years. This surprises to many visitors who are more accustomed to cheaper versions of the famous vinegar. At the end of our visit we will sit around the family table and have our tasting. Few drops of the nectar are sufficient to enhance our dishes and during the tasting stage we will learn how to match each vinegar with food.
Lambrusco winery and Organic Farmer lunch – Our best rustic experience.
Our last stop will be at a agriturismo where we will explore the beauty of organic farming. Our partner produces classic method Lambusco wine, heirloom varieties of wheat, organic forgotten vegetables and fruits. After a detailed walking visit of the farm, you will be sitting around the rustic table to enjoy the famous farmer brunch. The lunch consists of many specialities of the area such as hand carved ham, ciccioli (cooked and pressed bacon) fresh and aged cheese with the unforgettable Salsa Luisa, all served with the farm made sour dough focaccia bread. The lunch will be accompanied with the farm classic method organic wines such as Lambrusco and Trebbiano.
Cooking with us at the organic farm.
In 2013 we started to offer pasta cooking classes at the organic farm. It was an immediate success. Our guests learnt the process of organic farming and picked herbs, vegetables and fruits directly from the field. Then we went to the kitchen and we started to prepare fresh egg pasta with organic red wheat flour that is also produced at the farm. The classes are always hands on, so the participants actually prepare the dishes under the chef supervision. Time permitting we always try to prepare a full course meal, pasta, meat or vegetarian second course and a simple dessert. Most of the recipes are from the Italian farmer’s tradition.
Advantages of the 2 gourmet food tours from Bologna/Modena.
- This tour is half day, so if you are based in Bologna expect to be back to the hotel by 3 pm (departure from Modena 8.15, Bologna 7.15)
- A real chance to see 2 gourmet producers and an organic farm to sample real products straight from the land.
- This tour includes unique sparkling wines that you will only find in Modena and Bologna.
- Shorter transfer times than other tours, with less time spent in the car and more time spent enjoying the food, the landscape and our beautiful farm.
- Panoramic tour in the country side and around Modena and Castelvetro, with possibility to stop at medieval castles of Vignola, Castelvetro and Levizzano.
- Possibility to add a stop at the Ferrari factory in Maranello.
- Learn about organic farming
- Taste a unique Lambrusco made from the classic method (champenoise)
- Try real rustic dishes from the farmer tradition
- Eat sour dough bread made from einkorn wheat organically grown on the farm
- Learn about ancient wheat and lost vegetables varieties.
- Possibility to purchase products at each stop and bring home gourmet souvenirs.
Stay at the Farm.
Our organic agriturismo in Modena also offers accommodation, if you are interested you can rent one of the comfortable mini apartment which have been fully refurbished recently.
Interested in Italian farming? We can customise any tour for your group.
Other than, cheese, wine, vinegar, and ham producers we can also visit other products of the land. Therefore if you spend sometimes in Bologna or Modena you can also consider to visit bee keepers, honey producers, heirloom pork breeders, truffles and mushrooms pickers and canners.We would be very happy to discuss your requirements and design a food tour for your group or company.
Best Cooking Lesson
We had the farmer's cooking class. It was like being a celebrity chef as you see in TV these days. We picked veggies from the field and cooked them with Paolo and his team. The best part was sitting down together and roasting the chestnuts by the fireplace, great wine great company!
Wine wine wine!
We are big wine lover and the lambrusco at the farm is something we never tried before. Dark violet, bubbly that is perfect with the food served at the farm. Great day out for us. Thanks!
farmer's lunch and tour
The lunch at the farm was the highlight of our trips in Italy. Real, rustic and fun! it is good for families and friends travelling together.