The Portico di San Luca runs for 3.5 kilometres and 666 arches from the Arco del Meloncello at the edge of the city up the hill to the Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca. It was built between 1674 and 1793 to protect the annual religious procession that carries the Madonna’s icon down to Bologna each spring — a tradition that predates the portico itself by several centuries. It is the longest covered colonnade in the world, and walking it is a different experience from any of the city-centre porticoes: quieter, more physical, and with the plain of the Po Valley opening behind you as you climb.
The starting point is the Arco del Meloncello, a triumphal arch on Viale Aldini about 20 minutes’ walk southwest from Piazza Maggiore. Carlo Francesco Dotti designed the arch in 1732 as the formal gateway to the portico — it stands at the foot of the hill, terracotta red, marking the transition from the flat city to the climb. The arch connects seamlessly to the first arches of the portico, and from here the path rises without interruption to the sanctuary 300 metres above.
The construction stretched over more than a century because the portico had to follow the contours of the hill, which meant solving a series of engineering problems across different gradients and property boundaries. The arches are not all the same — some sections are taller and broader, others compressed where the hillside is steep. Partway up, a small chapel is built into the structure. The terracotta colour is consistent throughout, which gives the whole 3.5 kilometres a visual coherence that the more varied city-centre porticoes lack.
Walking Up: What to Expect
The walk takes 40–45 minutes at a steady pace. The gradient is consistent rather than steep — manageable for most people — but it is sustained, and the stone underfoot can be uneven in places. Going early morning or in autumn or winter gives the best conditions: the arches face south and the stone absorbs heat, making a midsummer midday walk uncomfortable. On a clear day in any other season, the views from the upper sections over Bologna’s roofline and the Po Valley plain justify the effort.
There is very little on the portico itself — no bars, no shops, no diversions. That is partly the point. The path has carried pilgrims, processions, and ordinary Bolognesi for 350 years, and the experience is essentially the same now: a long covered ascent with the city falling away below and the sanctuary somewhere above the treeline. It is one of those walks that functions best if you do not try to rush it.
The Sanctuary at the Top
The Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca was built between 1723 and 1774 to house a Byzantine icon of the Madonna that, according to tradition, was brought to Bologna from Constantinople in the 12th century. The sanctuary’s oval nave and elliptical dome were designed by Dotti — the same architect as the Arco del Meloncello — and the building is considered one of the finest examples of Bolognese Baroque. Entry is free.
The icon itself — dark, small, heavily framed — sits above the main altar. In early May each year it is carried down to Bologna in the Festa della Madonna di San Luca, a procession that uses the portico exactly as it was designed to be used. The icon stays in San Petronio on Piazza Maggiore for a week before being carried back up. The festival has taken place every year since the 13th century, interrupted only by wars.
The views from the sanctuary terrace are the best in the area — Bologna laid out below, the towers visible on a clear day, the Apennine foothills rising to the south. There is a bar and restaurant at the top if you need it after the climb. Buses also run back down to the city if the return walk is not appealing; the San Luca Express and City Red Bus options are covered in a separate guide.
Want to taste Emilia-Romagna's finest products?
Our half-day food tour from Bologna or Modena visits a Parmigiano dairy, a balsamic acetaia, and a prosciutto producer — transport included.
The portico is part of the broader UNESCO World Heritage inscription Bologna received in 2021 — one of 12 specific portico series included in the designation. The inscription recognises the network as a living system rather than a monument, which the San Luca portico illustrates well: the annual procession, the regular use by walkers and joggers, the bar at the top. It has been in continuous use since the 17th century and shows no sign of stopping. For more on the historic city gates along the route into the hills, see our guide to Bologna’s historic gates.
If you are spending more than a day in Bologna, the San Luca walk makes a good half-day combination with the Portico del Pavaglione and the city-centre porticoes — the two experiences complement each other, one being the urban everyday version and the other the pilgrimage route on the hill. Afterwards, the food in the centre is ten minutes away.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the Portico di San Luca?
The Portico di San Luca is 3.5 kilometres long with 666 arches, making it the longest covered colonnade in the world. It runs from the Arco del Meloncello at the edge of Bologna up to the Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca on the hill above. The walk up takes 40–45 minutes at a steady pace.
Is the San Luca portico walk difficult?
The climb is sustained but manageable — a consistent gradient rather than a steep one. Most people find it comfortable in 40–50 minutes. The stone underfoot can be uneven in places. Avoid midday in summer as the arches face south and the stone heats up. Early morning or autumn/winter are the best times. The return walk is easier; buses also run from the base of the hill.
When was the Portico di San Luca built?
Construction ran from 1674 to 1793 — over a century, because the portico had to follow the contours of the hill across different gradients and property boundaries. The Arco del Meloncello at the entrance was designed by architect Carlo Francesco Dotti and completed in 1732. The sanctuary at the top was built between 1723 and 1774, also to Dotti’s design.
Why was the Portico di San Luca built?
It was built to shelter the annual religious procession that carries the icon of the Madonna di San Luca down from the sanctuary to Bologna each May — a tradition dating back to the 13th century. The portico was designed to protect the icon and the procession from the weather during the descent. The Festa della Madonna di San Luca still takes place every year, using the portico exactly as intended.
Is the Sanctuary of San Luca free to visit?
Yes — entry to the sanctuary is free. The portico walk itself costs nothing. There is a bar and restaurant at the top. The only costs involved are transport to the Arco del Meloncello at the base (or a 20-minute walk from Piazza Maggiore) and, if you prefer not to walk back down, the San Luca Express or City Red Bus fare.
How do I get to the start of the San Luca portico?
The portico starts at the Arco del Meloncello on Viale Aldini, about 20 minutes’ walk southwest from Piazza Maggiore via Via Saragozza and through Porta Saragozza (one of Bologna’s medieval city gates). City buses also run along Via Saragozza from the centre.
Discover more from Emilia Delizia
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.