Puglia, Italy, is known to be home to the best and finest wines in the world today. This is owing to the beautiful climate that Puglia is so much blessed to have. Some of the best wineries in Puglia include the following:
1. The Azienda Agricola Masciulli
2. Cantine di Marco
4. Tenuta Girolamo.
These wineries are not only famous for growing their delicious and tasty wines, but also for being award winners globally.
1. The Azienda Agricola Masciulli
The Azienda Agricola Masciulli was started by the Masciulli family in 1975. The family stuck to its long-standing tradition of growing grapes and processing wine for decades. The Azienda winery is located in the heart of Trulli in Puglia. The location of the vineyards allows the grapes to get to the required level of maturity owing to the great climatic conditions.
The company ensures that the wine produced is quality and owes much value in keeping and maintaining the traditions of the family in producing the finest wines. The company uses the best technology in processing the wine, right from the grape picking to the bottling of the delicious wine.
The Azienda Agricola winery was recognized for its quality wines and was awarded the IGP Puglia mark, the Prisciu award in 2012 at the National Sca Prammaggiore, where the company won a gold medal.
Some of the fines wines that Azienda Agricola is known for include the White, the Rose, the Red, the Primitivo and the Prisciu wines. The winery is open daily from 10 am – 4 pm on Monday to Friday for tasting on advance booking.
2. Cantine Di Marco.
The Cantine Di Marco in Puglia boasts of the production of legendary wines through history. Some of the famous wines include-
Terre di Puglia-Primitivo di Manduria.
This particular wine is the pride of Puglia owing to its unique historical taste. It is made of pure primitivo grapes grown on the vast vineyards that have been in existence for more than 30 years. The wine is famous in most parts of Europe due to its sweet, dry but soft taste. Originally, the wine when bottled is red in color, but when it stays for some time, it changes to dark orange. The wine gets an even better taste with age.
Terre di Puglia- Rosato Salento
This is yet another brand produced by the Cantine Di Marco wineries. The Rose wine gives a sensational yet unique taste, flowering, dry and with very low alcoholic content that makes it just perfect. Situated in the Valle d’Itria in Cantine Di Marco, the vineyards have produced the finest rose wine for close to 30 years.
Other fine wine brands produced in Cantine Di Marco include; Martina Franca, Locortondo, Primitivo del Salento, Primitivo di Manduria, Salice Salento, Salice Salento Riservia, Negroamaro, Aglianico del Vulture, Brio, Brio Rose,Malvanegra, Malvenagra Rosato, Chardonnay, Tarie, Arcadia and Cortigiano wines.
3. Sarolo Wines.
The Sarolo wines, also popularly known as the Sarolo Don Carlo, is situated in the Valle d’Itria. The Sarolo began as a family enterprise and is currently owned by Marco Emilio Santory. He represents the 5th generation of the Santory family. The valley d’Itria has very good soil and climate as well.
The winery is located in the heart of the Murgia Hills of Southern Puglia. This is between the Adriatic and the Ionian coasts. The warm temperatures that range from 25-30 degrees by day and around 8 degrees by night is optimum weather that enhances notably the quality of the Sarolo wines.
The family tradition in the production of quality wine is upheld to date. The qualified staff handpick only ripe grapes that are then processed into fine, natural wine brands that are loved throughout Europe and the world as well.
4. Tenuta Girolamo.
Tenuta Girolamo is located in the middle of Itria Valley in Puglia. The legendary winery is owned by the Girolamo family. The vineyard stretches across 50 hectares of land and on it grows the finest grapes in Puglia. The Tenuta Girolamo is known for brands of wine that includes –
· Conte Giangirolamo, which is made up of an equal combination of Primitivo and Negroamaro grapes. It has intense ruby red color and also violet hues. The wine has a touch of fruity flavors like cherry, blackberry, very inviting scents of vanilla and chocolate as well.
· Red Lace, also called the Pizzo Rosso is made with pure primitivo grapes and is ruby red wine. It has a sensational dry taste that is uniquely velvety, smooth and persistence almost all at once. It is simply amazing.
· Monte Tre Carlini, made of pure Negroamaro grapes. It comes in intense ruby red with traces of violet hues. Monte Carlini has a dry taste that is soft and will linger on your taste buds for a while.
· Codalunga, made of pure aglianco grapes and is also the red wine that comes in fruity flavors of blackberry, plum, almond, etc. This wine has a dry taste that is tannic and persistent on the tongue as well, gives a sensational feeling.
· Monte dei Cocci, comes in various brands that are unique in taste, ranging from the Aglianico, Cabernet Sauvignon, the Syrah, Verdeca and Chardonnay as well.
· La Voliera is a tasty brand that was developed from a long tradition of coming together.
The Tenuta Girolamo gained more popularity after winning the Berlin Wine Trophy. The Company also won the Decanter Asia Wine awards and the Mundus Vini. This made the winery gain more popularity not only among the locals, but also from around the globe owing to their tasty wines that will leave your taste buds in awe.
The Tenuta Girolamo is usually open for tasting every day from Monday to Friday, starting from 10 am to 4 pm. In order to visit the winery, reservations need to be made in advance due to the busy schedule of activities going on at the winery. During the weekends, visits are only allowed when booked in advance and should be a minimum of 6 guests. The most amazing bit is that one can make a request to also visit the vineyards at no additional fee