The historic center of Modena is set to come alive with a rich array of activities during the festive season. From illuminations to musical events, Modena offers a captivating Christmas experience for all ages.
Highlights of Christmas in Modena’s Historic Center:
- Lighting Ceremonies: Starting from December 1, 2023, to January 7, 2024, major squares in the city center will be lit up with festive lights, accompanied by choirs and performances. More info
- Christmas on the Train: From December 2, 2023, to January 7, 2024, a special Christmas train will take tourists and residents through the historic heart of the city. More info
- Ice Skating Academy: An exciting family experience at Piazza Roma, available from November 18, 2023, to February 18, 2024. More info
- Christmas Delights: Enjoy delicious crepes, roasted chestnuts, and mulled wine in Piazza Matteotti and Largo Porta Bologna from November 17 to January 7. More info
- Unique Theatre Performances: A range of theatrical productions, including improvised dialogues on music and emotions, will be held at the Nuovo Teatro delle Passioni on December 3. More info
- “In Dulci Jubilo” Concert: Experience the enchanting sounds of Christmas at the Chiesa di San Barnaba on December 7. More info
- Vintage Car Exhibition: Admire a collection of classic sports cars at Largo San Giorgio on December 10, with gifts for children in attendance. More info
- Traditional Christmas Market: Running from December 14 to 24, 2023, under the Portici di Piazza Grande, this market features a variety of antique books, prints, and other unique items. More info
- Disney-Inspired Performances: Enjoy a captivating show on January 6, 2024, featuring Disney’s greatest hits at Piazza Roma. More info
For a complete schedule of the festive season’s events in Modena, visit Modena Mio.
Christmas in Bologna, Italy, for 2023 promises to be a vibrant and enchanting experience, filled with traditional markets, unique events, and festive activities. Here is a comprehensive guide to the best things to do in Bologna during the Christmas season:
1. Christmas Markets:
- Santa Lucia Fair (Nov 10 – Dec 26): This historic market, located under the UNESCO-listed porticoes of Strada Maggiore, offers original crib figures and a colorful array of Christmas items. More info
- French Christmas Village (Nov 25 – Dec 24): Experience French flavors and crafts in Piazza Minghetti, accompanied by mulled wine and regional specialties. More info
- Christmas Fair in Via Altabella (Nov 17 – Jan 6): Steps from Piazza Maggiore, this fair is perfect for Christmas shopping, offering sweets, costume jewelry, and gift ideas. More info
- Antiques Fair (Dec 12 – 24): For those interested in vintage items, this fair under the Voltone del Podestà is not to be missed. More info
- DecoMela Art Christmas Market (Dec 6 – 24): Located in Via San Giuseppe, this market is ideal for handicrafts and festive decor. More info
2. Unique Experiences:
- DiMondi Festival Winter Edition (Starting Dec 3): Held in Piazza Lucio Dalla, this festival includes music, games, children’s workshops, and a skate rink. More info
- FICO Theme Park (Nov 4 – Jan 7): This large Christmas-themed park features attractions like the Polar Express, a virtual sleigh ride, and an ice rink. More info
- Epiphany Fair (Jan 2 – 7): A traditional fair in the city center, perfect for families and those who love sweets and candies. More info
3. Cultural and Culinary Delights:
- Fiera di Natale (Nov 18 – Jan 6): The main Christmas market in Piazza Maggiore offers Italian foods, crafts, and seasonal music. More info
- Traditional Christmas Desserts: Indulge in local desserts like Panettone, Pandoro, and Certosino, each offering a unique taste of Italian Christmas.
- Nativity Scenes (Presepi): Cherished displays of nativity scenes can be found in churches, public squares, and shop windows, adding to the festive spirit.
4. Festive Events and Shows:
- Christmas Shows: Don’t miss performances like “The Christmas Show” (Dec 7-8) and “The Nutcracker” (Dec 10) for a touch of holiday magic. More info
- Midnight Mass and Religious Celebrations: Participate in the traditional midnight Mass and other religious services around the city.
5. Special Festive Attractions:
- Big Christmas Tree and Light Displays: The city is adorned with beautiful Christmas decorations, including a large tree near the Fountain of Neptune.
- Santa Lucia Festival (Early December): This festival marks the unofficial start of the Christmas season, featuring a special market with toys and sweets.
Bologna during Christmas is a blend of traditional charm and festive excitement, offering something for everyone. Whether you’re interested in shopping, cultural experiences, or just soaking in the holiday atmosphere, Bologna in December 2023 is a destination that promises a memorable Christmas experience.