If Modena captured your heart, Bologna is set to enthrall you with its rich cultural tapestry and vibrant celebrations, especially during the sultry month of August. Whether you’re seeking artistic encounters, culinary delights, or musical festivities, Bologna promises a perfect mix for every traveler. Here’s a breakdown of the best activities and events for tourists in Bologna in August 2023.
1. Ferragosto at FICO: (10th – 15th August)
- Location: FICO
- Celebrate the mid-August festivities with delightful dinners, exciting astrological explorations, and a dose of ‘fachirismo’, which promises to be as intriguing as it sounds!
2. Aperitivo DiVino amidst the Vines:
- Location: La Cantina (10th July – 30th September)
- Nothing beats the combination of delicious food, a panoramic view of Bologna’s countryside, and the light-hearted joy of an Italian summer evening.
3. Art Enthusiasts Alert! Lucio Saffaro Exhibition:
- Location: Palazzo Fava. Palazzo delle Esposizioni (26th May – 24th September)
- Dive deep into the unknown with a dedicated exhibition celebrating the genius of Lucio Saffaro.
4. Ferragosto Day Outings:
- Location: Various
- Whether you choose a picnic at the Parco dei Pini, a photography exhibition by Andreas Gursky at MAST, or a musical escape at Castel di Casio, Bologna ensures your Ferragosto is filled with wonder.
5. Bologna’s Theatre Scene:
- Location: Teatro Celebrazioni (17th November – 5th May)
- Enjoy stellar performances from the likes of Silvio Orlando, Elio Germano, and the comedic genius Giacobazzi.
6. Ferragosto Nightlife:
- Location: Le Serre dei Giardini Margherita
- Party the night away on Ferragosto at Le Serre, which is a hotspot for locals and tourists alike.
7. Dive into Bologna’s Summer Festivities:
- Location: Various locations around the city (27th May – 30th September)
- From new attractions to long-standing festivals, Bologna in summer is a cultural feast.
8. A Glimpse of Ancient Egypt:
- Location: Museo Civico Archeologico (7th July 2021 – 31st December 2023)
- Be mesmerized by “Sekhmet, la Potente”, a majestic deity with a lion’s head and a woman’s body, straight from the Museo Egizio of Turin.
9. Explore Bologna’s Trails:
- Location: Various locations
- For those with an adventurous spirit, the Trekking col Treno 2023 offers 43 guided excursions through Bologna’s picturesque trails from April to December.
With a city as historically rich and culturally diverse as Bologna, every alleyway and square has a story waiting to be discovered. This August, immerse yourself in the quintessential Bolognese experience, and take home memories that will last a lifetime. For more info about events in Bologna check here.